Sweet Lenoir's music movies thoughts and more

Friday, December 19, 2008

Creepy Czech movie: A retelling the classic story Alice In Wonderland

Movies:
So Netflix recommended this movie to me,  I guess because I am a big David Lynch fan. It's simply called Alice, though it comes with an unusual short called Darkness Light Darkness as well and both titles appear together on the DVD, a bit confusing, but anyway...Netflix described it as "warped" and "bizarre" and "surreal" with "a world of gothic props" and I thought heck yes! Awesome! I was also interested in the fact that it had stop -motion animation (I'm a big fan of the old Rankin/Bass movies) mixed with real people and puppets and I guess I did not take the "dead animals" part very seriously. Cuz, um, it really had dead animals as some of the main stars of the film. If you are at all interested in taxidermy, this might really be a fascinating element to you. I personally found the whole movie rather creepy. When the cute little blonde girl drinks the shrinking potion, she turns into a scary little old doll with matted hair. And when she is big, her interactions with the "dead animals" can be rather freaky. There is a stuffed frog baby sitting a crying pig and a stuffed rat who takes refuge on normal-sized Alice's head after she cried a sea of tears that flooded the odd world. The rat builds a fire on her head after driving a stake into it. Yikes! Even this was too much for Alice, as she exclaimed that that was going too far and ducked under the water/tears to put out the fire and drown the rat. The Cheshire Cat and Caterpillar were always favorite characters of mine, here they were, uh, yes, weird. One was represented as a sock who bore holes into the floor and lived with many other sock animals, even inspiring Alice's own socks to join them as well. The animals were kind of gross, but overall, it was an interesting interpretation and I'd probably watch another film but this director, Jan Svankmajer. And if you are a fan of Terry Gilliam's weirdo movie called Tideland, I think you'd pretty safely like this movie. 

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Natalia Alma said...

Hi! It's Natasha. I hope it's cool that I followed your link from facebook. :)

Anyway... I am finding some wacky stuff about Victorian taxidermy in my research, so strangely, the adaptation of Alice wasn't too far from the Victorian mark in terms of its love affair with dead animals. One of the most disgusting things that I have found so far is the "feather screen" where Victorian women would flatten a bird into a screen (the instructions on how to do this explain how to scoop out the brains and everything...sooooo gross!). Also, they would do things like stuff kittens (kittens--breaks my heart! little kittens!) and dress up the dead bodies and put them in displays that resembled tea parties.

Just thought I'd share the strangeness! :)

December 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Sweet Lenoir said...

Whoa! That's crazy! Thanks for sharing!!!

December 20, 2008 at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home